Monday, September 1, 2014

I Walk Alone

I gave myself the challenge to write something based on or inspired by music. The following piece is a portion of a letter that was inspired by this song:




...moments of clarity are becoming longer with the days I spend in this place. I thank you for that. It has been two months since we parted, sixty days and nights since we were last together. I know you had my best interests at heart when you brought me here, I can see that now. I am very sorry for all the terrible things I have said, and for all that I have done to hurt you. When I get better, everything will go back to the way it was before. We can be together again. We can have that family you always wanted.

The doctors say I am healing quickly and the diary I was given to write in has helped channel the delusions. It helps me recognize reality from fantasy. I no longer see the monsters that haunt the dark corners of my mind. They were merely a dream. I understand my illness now and I have not tried to harm myself for almost a whole month. I am hoping to make a full recovery and go home very soon. There are women here who have lived at the institution for years. They wander the halls like ghosts and their cries make it hard for me to sleep, but they give me the motivation to get better and find my way back to you.

I will do my best to be well again, my love.

Yours eternally,
Meredith



2 comments :

  1. You did a good job of creating something really unique from your inspiration. A very well-executed concept! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow again. You amaze. Why oh why have you not written a book? I ask you that when all the while I try myself to write a book, but get so logged down.

    ReplyDelete